Friday, October 7, 2011

Thank You Mr. Jobs


The world lost a genius on Wednesday. An innovator. A visionary. Someone who thinks differently than most of the rest of us. I would personally thank  Mr. Steve Jobs for his contributions to the world and how his hand has touched me as a teacher.

 

Mr. Jobs-
Your Apple computers were the first in my classrooms as a kid, the ones that inspired my wonder. Your iPods are the ones that carry my music on the long road ahead  and allow me to get lost in music and dream. Your iPad is where I post this message from and where I watch my young daughter interacting with the world at her fingertips. Your Mac Books are what we use to produce and share all of the amazing occurrences here at Northside School.  Your tools have transformed my thinking, doing, and producing.  For that I thank you.

More importantly, your creativity, innovation, design, and approach to thinking is at the roots of who I am was a teacher. I hope to inspire my students to think differently as you have inspired millions to do.  I will forever push my students to "stay hungry, [and] stay foolish," and attempt to inspire them to leave a "ding in the universe."  And of course, I strive to make my students "the round pegs in the square holes."

Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.




Mr. Jobs, thank you. Your inspiration and innovations have had a profound influence on me, as well as the students I teach. You will live on forever.

Fondly,
Travis Wood

No comments: