Sunday, November 23, 2008

NYSCATE Day 1

I got there way too early and left even earlier. I heard that registering was trouble if you didn't get there early enough, so I I did just that. There wasn't much going on when I got to the Convention Center, but I was able to hook into the RRCC's wireless to check out the sessions for the day. I also got to check out my new Bean. It is very cool... 3.2 mega pixel digital camera, video camera, webcam, mass storage device. Talk about a do all tool... Thanks NYSCATE.

I went to two sessions this afternoon and got exactly what I was looking for. The first was a sessions about PLNs and how to develop one. The second was a session about blogging and using wikis in an elementary classroom. I left after that. I wanted to see David Jakes, but I did not pay $45 for the banquet/dinner/keynote. When I got home, I felt short changed and all night I felt like I was missing out on an opportunity to make new friends and learn from them.

I didn't miss everything though. I was able to catch Jakes' presentation via Ustream, compliments of Brian C Smith. Thanks Brian!

So here's what I take from today:
  • I feel ahead of the ballgame with what I do in my classroom. Many of the ideas that were thrown around today were things that I am doing or have experimented with. I was able to grab some specific ideas that I will certainly use.
  • I'm on the the right track to developing my Professional Learning Network. I have been following blogs for over a year and writing here for almost half. (Before today, I didn't realize this was a way to develop a PLN.) I've got some work to do with Twitter though. I need help, both technical and theoretical. I will be sure to tap into the playground tomorrow.
  • Next year, pay the $45 to go to the dinner. Or even better, get school to pay for it!
More tomorrow.

No comments: