Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Doodle 4 Google

In case you haven't heard by now, Goggle is sponsoring a competition for students to earn a $15,000 college scholarship AND $25,000 for the students school to spend on technology.  Pretty cool!

We decided to participate in this project to give our students an opportunity to create, design, and innovate (there's that word again) on an artistic level.  The excitement was palpable.  There was major disappointment when it was time to pack up for the day and many questions of whether or not they could take it home to work on over the weekend.

The theme for this year's contest is, "What I'd Like to Do Someday..."  We expected many of the designs to be about careers, but we were astounded with the way the students interpreted Google's theme. One student she wanted to travel the world and one student said he wanted to invent 'things'. Another student, in particular, captured my attention. He said he wanted to be a father. I was struck by this for some reason.  Maybe it was that I never knew this about him.  Maybe it was that I never thought kids thought about being parents. Maybe it was the beauty of his illustration. (I mean the l in Google is a rolled up birth certificate!) Regardless, I was in awe, not really knowing how to respond. 

Neng's Doodle 4 Google- Someday I want to be a Father.
His illustration, and those of his classmates, demonstrates what hope, creativity, design and innovation are all about. If you give kids the challenge and a platform, they respond.

No comments: