Sunday, June 15, 2008

Pie in the Sky

This post was originally a comment on Avenue4Learning as a response to a Top 5 Wish List post. Through her requests, the author seems to be a middle/high school teacher. It is interesting to see how her list and my list compare. Here's the original comment. Feel free to leave me your list and we can compare.

Here's a wish list... from an elementary teacher.

1- More parents interest- My students used classblogmeister for much of this past school year. I sent multiple e-mails (and hard copies in backpacks) asking them to read and comment on their student's work. I did not get much of a response at all. I do not think parents understand that their comments (especially if they go beyond 'nice blog') really drive the students motivation and care for writing.

2- A class set of iPods (I could settle for 5 if I had to). Being an elementary teacher, one of my goals is to get my students excited about reading. Among many other uses the iPods would be an excellent way to share read alouds. The kids could listen to professionally recorded books, books read my myself, or (probably the most powerful) books read by their peers.

3- A set of laptops for my room. I don't need one per student, but a few in addition to the two desktops in my room would allow my students who really are into publishing their thoughts the opportunity to do so more frequently.

4- More opportunities to connect with classrooms, experts, etc. through Skype. My class made friends with class 500 miles away this year through blogs and a few Skype calls. It was an awesome, powerful experience. It would be so cool to connect with scientists when kids have great science questions or to an author that the class is reading.

5- More opportunities to investigate new tools to use in the classroom. I was lucky to be chosen to be part of a Technology Vision Team (TVT) this year. We had 4 days of release time and during that time we experimented with 'right now' tools (wikis, blogs, etc.) and 'someday tools' (video gaming and Second Life). This was a great experience because I was able to sit on a team with about 15 excellent teachers, at all levels, and bounce ideas around. I'd have to stay up all night by myself for a month to equal the amount of learning in only 1 day of working with the TVT. (On a side note: I was asked to participate in 08-09's TVT.)

Yeah, I may need to find a few pennies in the parking lot to make these all happen, but you never know if you do not shoot for the moon!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great start to the blog. Suggestion on the parent front... maybe a parent interest night about social media (i.e. - social networking) and roll it into how you are using the Classblogmeister blog to show constructive use of social media.

Your links used here as you write on your blog might just lead you to connections with folks that are willing to communicate/collaborate with your students.

Again, great start and keep it up! Remember the "link love" and link to posts and people you are reading in your RSS reader. Pose questions to get more responses too!

Bret Apthorpe said...

AMEN!!! Enabling teachers with opportunities to learn and experiement with technology will always produce insights for REAL change. The TVT group is going to hit this head on this year and I cannot wait for our colleagues to experiment with more of these technologies.

We have had a RIT intern doing a deep dive into how we can technically make web 2.0 applications available in a K-12 environment...very tricky thing to do...but WE WILL GET THERE!!!

BTW-Congrads on the newest SOX addition to the Wood family, very cute!!

Unknown said...

Hey there....I was able to secure two additional laptops for my room last year. It has been great having a total of 5 (I let the students use my TVT laptop) computers in my room. I usually have them use the computers during guided reading. I position myself in a way where I can keep track of what they are doing. It has worked out pretty well.
On another note...my wife (second grade) was able to purchase portable CD players for her students. She was the recipient of the Wal-Mart teacher of the year and was given $100.00 to use in her classroom.

Anonymous said...

Dear Travis,

Wow! Our wish lists are so similar. I would love improved commenting and mostly to have my families taking the kids in my class to eachother's websites to comment and see their own comments. My kids are too young to do it by themselves at home and the family is key. I'm going to have to work harder on that one. I think the iPod is such an amazing device... small, cheap, portable, audio and vidoe, intuitive. What more could you ask for in a teaching tool. I am with you on using for a listening/veiwing center.